Spain Study FAQs

  1. What is a Schengen or Short Stay Visa?

A Schengen visa is a short stay visa which entitles a person to move freely in the Schengen area and stay up to 90 days. The Schengen countries are Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

  1. Do I need to make an appointment to apply for a visa?

Yes, making an appointment is very necessary to apply for a visa.

  1. How much is the Visa fee?

A Polish student visa application will cost Euros 70 which is non- refundable. The payment mode for Visa fees is by cash or card at VFS global center.

  1. Where can I find the visa requirements online?

The Visa requirements are found on Spain official website.

  1. How long does it take for the visa to be ready?

Once you submit your passport you will get your decision in 15 days.

  1. Does the candidate have to leave my passport in the consulate?

Yes, the candidate has to submit the passport in the consulate for visa stamping

  1. What type of visa are required by dependants if they are accompanying the main applicant?

Spouse will need a Student Dependent Visa.  The documentation required for dependant visa is same as of the main applicant plus a marriage certificate is required with the Apostle of The Hague.

  1. What is the Apostille of The Hague?

The Apostille of The Hague is a stamp issued from the Secretary of State that is issued for official U.S. documents which makes them valid in Spain.

  1. What will happen if a person decides to stay in Spain for more time than they are allowed to be there?

If a person decides to go over the time period that they are allowed to stay in Spain (or the EU) they will be there illegally. The consequences of such an act depend on Spanish or EU authorities.

  1. Can a person leave Spain (or other Schengen territories) after 90 days and re-enter to stay another 90 days?

No, a person is only allowed a maximum of 90 days within a 6 month period.

This period begins on the date the person first enter Schengen area.

  1. If the student does not work or is not financially dependent of another person, what documents should he/ she provide?
  • Latest three bank statements that include the name of the person who is covering the expenses (only parents, spouses and children will be accepted);
  • Your latest Income Tax Return that includes the name of this person and a sworn statement before a Notary stating that this person will be covering all expenses during students’ travels.
  1. Where can Health/Accident/Travel insurance purchased?

A student can buy the Health/Accident/Travel insurance through a travel agency or search through internet.

  1. Does the student have to show all the documents asked of or can skip some? 

Yes, the Visa applicant must present all the documents that are listed on the requirements page.

  1. What does “multiple entries” mean?

A multiple entry visa means that you may leave and re-enter the Schengen area multiple times within the period of validity of the visa.

  1. I haven’t been able to make an appointment; can I show up without one?

No, only applications with appointments will be accepted.

  1. What is the official website of Spain where the questions related to visa process are solved?


  1. 17. How many types of student visa are there in Spain?

Generally there are two types of visas in Spain.

  • 180 Days : D type Visa – It is applicable for those students who decided to study abroad in Spain, where duration of the course range between three to six months
  • Students Visa : D Type Visa –It is applicable for those students who decided to study abroad in Spain, where duration of the course that lasts more than six months
  1.  What are the Rules and Regulations to meet to get immigration and study Visa?

A student cannot apply for student visa Spain or study visa when he/ she is at Spain for any reason. If the student is in Spain for a short stay or tour or dependent visa, he/ she cannot apply for study visa while in Spain. A student is allowed to apply for study visa only from the home country with proper documents.

Similarly, Spanish Government doesn’t allow a student to change Visa, once they arrive in Spain with study visa.

  1. What are the documents required for Spain student visa?
  • Duly filled visa application form
  • Passport – Witha validity for the intended period of your stay in Spain
  • 2 recent passport size photos
  • Information about theselected study programme (extended details regarding your chosen degree within the university, such as the hours of study per week)
  • Letter of acceptance from a Spanish university
  • Medical certificate
  • A health insurance havinga minimum coverage no less than 30,000 EUR for the whole duration of your course
  • Proof for financial support during your stay (at least 900 EUR/month)
  • Visa application fee (60 EUR)
  • A criminal record certificate (no older than five years, issued by the relevant authorities in your home country.
  1. When should I submit my application form?

It is generally recommended to submit Spain visa application form at least 10 weeks before the course starts. The time duration for visa processing time may vary with every country and with every consulate.

  1. What is the process time for processing a Student Visa to Spain?

Depending on the location, the student visa processing time for the Spain Study Visa will change. On an average, a student visa takes 30 to 60 days to process. The students are therefore advised to apply for the visa as soon as they get notification from the University about their acceptance in the institution.

Are you ready to take the next step toward your future career?